Accessibility

Put all your Big Ideas for the game in here.
drakkos
Site Admin

Accessibility

Postby drakkos » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:53 am

I have created an accessibility module that is embedded into every player. The key thing this lets me do really it's to allow for a screenreader command that can save and restore particular game options as a handy unit. Leaving aside the obvious stuff like in game maps brief look and so on, what would you like it to do?

And, more broadly speaking, what would you like to see in terms of accessibility support across the game?

Drakkos

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

evariste

Re: Accessibility

Postby evariste » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:21 am

One thing that would be quite helpful:
could you modify the theme you're using for PHPBB so that the subject of each post in the topic is marked as a heading (I'd recommend h4)? This makes it much easier to skip to the next post with a screen reader. Congrats on having single sign on; whenever I see mud forums and wiki I always start to cringe, as they almost always need a secondary account, and that secondary account almost always has a CAPTCHA before it can be created. Creating accounts via the MUD seems like a really good way to limit spam without having to use the dreaded CAPTCHA.

I put in several other ideas via the ideas command, and I know you saw them, so I won't repeat them here. Unless you want me to, for some reason. :-)

drakkos
Site Admin

Postby drakkos » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:46 pm

evariste

Postby evariste » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:56 pm

Well, it depends, obviously; all of these forums can be completely customized via themes, and some themes are more accessible than others. I will say that the SMF run by mudconnector does exactly what I want; every post in a topic is marked as a heading. Also, the layout of the tables is somewhat nicer. But I couldn't tell you if this is default behaviour, or a theme.

On another note, I have a draft page on the wiki about configuring Mushclient for screen readers and Epitaph:
http://epitaph.imaginary-realities.com/ ... essibility
I fixed most of the formatting issues, finally, but I think several still exist; I'm not at all familiar with MediaWiki markup and getting it to do what I want. Shouldn't commands and text to be typed exactly as shown be in a special font, or something? Not sure how to make that happen. Also, if you're going to link this from the main accessibility page, we probably want to host all of the files somewhere other than my personal Dropbox.

Return to “Ideas”