Ironman Mode

Put all your Big Ideas for the game in here.
drakkos
Site Admin

Ironman Mode

Postby drakkos » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:10 am

Would there be any appetite for an ironman mode? It would be called something like 'no immunity mode'. With this, I'm thinking the following:

* You have one life, and if you die you die for reals. Characters can't come back.
* All XP rewards are multiplied by 10
* All faction rep rewards are multiplied by 10
* All money rewards are multiplied by 10, but you can't give money to other players.
* PK is on and you can't switch it off.

You'd get a pre-title you could set: 'Ironman Drakkos' or 'Ironwoman Drakkina' or something. You'd also get a set of top ten tables that only players in this mode register for.

Mainly it would be both a 'dip in' mode where rewards were larger letting you get right into it earlier on, and a 'hardcore' mode where any mistake would end in your ultimate death.

Drakkos

evariste

Re: Ironman Mode

Postby evariste » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Personally, I would have no interest in this. Also, I would worry that the influx and outflux of random new characters might destroy the more social aspects of the game. As well, playing with characters who have 10 times more money than the rest of us could disrupt the player economy; even if they can't give money to regular players, what's to stop them purchasing all the good items from the shops and giving them out, or just hoarding them? Crafting makes this not quite as huge of a concern as it would be in other games, but I still do think it could become a problem. My humble suggestion would be to follow the battmud example, and run a hardcore game on another port:
http://www.bat.org/hcbat
That way players who want permadeath could, in fact, exchange money with each other, and otherwise do whatever. It looks like your mudlib has good enough support for patching and intermud communication to make this viable; players on the two games could even share the same radio channels, show up in who, send each other tells, finger each other, etc, if you wanted. But they'd never-the-less be playing in completely different game worlds.

drakkos
Site Admin

Postby drakkos » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:27 am

That's an interesting about a different port. I don't think we could really do much without having to instance the mud though in terms of minimising or eliminating game impact of the iron mode players.

Still, certainly something to think about

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

hugo

Postby hugo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:53 pm

I favour this, partially, and I say partially because if done right it can be a good feature. I would imagine it being available to people only once they have achieved something on a main character first, and only one Ironman character can be available at any one time, and this would limit the amount of abuse. Not entirely, but it'd eliminate a bunch of bad eggs straight away.

I see this as another form of a "bonus" character, and for that I think there is something that can be done. I understand people's concerns with a feature like this, but if done right those who do not care for it shouldn't feel the consequences of it. All in all, if done right, this is something I can get behind.

ror

Postby ror » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:08 am

Return to “Ideas”